From 2002 to 2006, Westerly captured five straight state titles.
After a 10-year absence, the Bulldogs are back on top once again.
In a meet where at least five teams had a chance to bring home the hardware, it was the Bulldogs that were able to secure the crown, defeating second-place Portsmouth, 67-56. North Kingstown was third with 49 points.
The Bulldogs' depth proved crucial in the outcome as they earned just one victory in the 19 events. Westerly's lone win came in the 4x100m relay where the foursome of Leila Cox, Emma Santee, Sydney Federico and Helena Hall-Thomsen combined for a time of 50.05.
Westerly's Randi Burr collected 16 points individually by finishing second in the 800m (2:16.96) and third in the 1,500m (4:36.54). She was also on the second-place 4x400m (4:01.39) squad. The Bulldogs' Emma Santee collected two third-place finishes in the 100m (12.78) and 200m (25.49).
Portsmouth was led by another sterling effort from sophomore Nikki Merrill, who captured the 1,500m with a PB of 4:29.70 (US #9). She also won the the 800 in 2:14.99 and anchored her team's winning 4x800m relay (9:22.17) with a blazing 2:11 leg.
La Salle's Emily Kane finished a gutsy second to Merrill in the 1,500m where she posted a two-second best of 4:31.94. She came back and claimed her first individual title, by coasting to the 3K crown in 10:07.35.
Woonsocket's Quinn Harlan was a double-winner, capturing the 100m (12.44) and long jump (17-3.25). She also was second in the 200m to individual champion Isabella Gentil of East Greenwich with a PB of 24.78 to Gentil's 24.74. East Greenwich's Laura Murphy took the 400m in 57.33.
- 1,500 Meter Run - Nikki Merrill (Portsmouth High School) 4:29.70; Emily Kane (La Salle Academy) 4:31.94; Randi Burr (Westerly High School) 4:36.54; Kate Zitzmann (Barrington High School) 4:40.70; Elizabeth Sullivan (Portsmouth High School) 4:42.75; Caroline Livingston (Barrington High School) 4:48.87;
- 200 Meter Dash - Isabella Gentil (East Greenwich High School) 24.74; Quinn Harlan (Woonsocket High School) 24.78;
- 3,000 Meter Run - Emily Kane (La Salle Academy) 10:07.35; Elizabeth Sullivan (Portsmouth High School) 10:18.66; Olive Allen (Portsmouth High School) 10:20.70; Lily Nunnery (North Kingstown High School) 10:22.51; Shayna Cousineau (Cranston East High School) 10:31.23; Julia Dempsey (Cumberland) 10:33.59;
- 300 Meter Hurdles - Casey Gannon (Toll Gate High School) 44.77; Grace Beaudry (Smithfield Senior High School) 46.19;
- 400 Meter Dash - Laura Murphy (East Greenwich High School) 57.33; Aliya Barrows (St Mary Academy-Bay View High School) 57.79;
- 4x800 Meter Relay - Portsmouth High School 9:22.17; Westerly High School 9:25.75; North Kingstown High School 9:28.66; La Salle Academy 9:35.10;
- 800 Meter Run - Nikki Merrill (Portsmouth High School) 2:14.99; Randi Burr (Westerly High School) 2:16.96; Kate Zitzmann (Barrington High School) 2:18.18; Sophia Maynard (Toll Gate High School) 2:18.43; Lisbeth Valdez (Hope High School) 2:19.24; Leinni Valdez (Hope High School) 2:19.78;
- Discus - Brianna Shablom (Portsmouth High School) 128-1; Samantha Andrews (Lincoln High School) 127-6;
- Hammer Throw - Gianna Rao (Ponaganset High School) 181-10; Samantha Andrews (Lincoln High School) 169-5; Faith Polando (Barrington High School) 166-7; Annika Kelly (Barrington High School) 165-8; Molly Botts (Cranston East High School) 159-4; Ani Armenakyan (Toll Gate High School) 157-4; Maggie Tarmey (Lincoln High School) 152-8; Cheyenne Figueroa (Classical High School) 149-9; Keyarsa Harris (Central High School) 149-0; Sydney Polando (Barrington High School) 146-6; Takiyah Lewis (Central High School) 140-8; Chelsea Yang (Pilgrim High School) 140-2; Katrin Kurowski (Woonsocket High School) 139-2; Nicole Valdez (Hope High School) 138-11; Joangely Mata (Mount Pleasant High School) 138-4; Jasmine Gallo-fusco (Toll Gate High School) 132-4; Marissa Henley (Woonsocket High School) 131-5; Ashley O'loughlin (Coventry High School) 112-11;
- Pole Vault - Kaitlyn Brayman (North Kingstown High School) 10-6;
- Shot Put - Ani Armenakyan (Toll Gate High School) 37-10; Jianna Peno (Rogers) 37-7.5;
- Triple Jump - Kayla Ezeama (Smithfield Senior High School) 36-0.75;