A few of the schools that should be battling for the team title at next weekend's State Meet occupied the top positions at Saturday's 50th annual Hendricken Invitational.
Once again, it was the host Hawks that went home with the hardware, defeating second-place Central, 108-70. North Kingstown finished third with 67 points and placing fourth was La Salle Academy with 36.
Hendricken collected 18 of its points in the 110-meter hurdles with the 1-2 finish of Joseph Rivera Santos and Ethan Famiano. River Santos crossed the line in 15.0 seconds. Famiano claimed silver with a time of 15.10. The Hawks also won the 4x400m (3:29.30) and 4x800m (8:23.70) relays.
Central's Donatien Djero earned a convincing victory in the 400m where he was timed in 48.60. Finishing second was Moses Brown's Cris Argys in 50.20. The Knights' Dametrius O'Connor was the first to break the tape in the 100m with a 10.80 clocking. Djero and O'Connor also ran legs on the first-place 4x100m squad that tied the 1986 meet record by Hendricken with a time of 42.90.
Barrington's Mars Bishop solidified his position as a contender for 800m at next week's championship meet with a personal best of 1:55.30. Bishop did most of the pace-setting in the race, and led a tight bunch through an opening 400m split of 56 seconds. He broke away from eventual second-place finisher Jack Perrault of North Kingstown with less than 100m remaining. Perrault finished with a PR of 1:56.10.
In a near, repeat performance from last week's Class A Championship, La Salle's Joseph dos Reis held off North Kingstown's Ethan Wylie in a highly-competitive 1,500m. Both achieved PRs with dos Reis timed in 4:03.40 and Wylie coming in at 4:03.90. In all, nine runners dipped under 4:10 in the race. Finishing 3-4 were Hendricken's Jordan Dagrin (4:04.70) and Jeffrey Venter (4:05.40).
La Salle's Sam Coleman topped the field in the 200m dash where he blazed to a time of 22.2. Central's Anthony Vega was second in 22.50.
North Kingstown's talented pole-vaulters, Joseph Zingarelli and Thorin Cardente, went 1-2 in their specialty, both clearing a best of 14-0.
- 100 Meter Dash - Dametrius Oconnor (Central High School) 10.80;
- 1,500 Meter Run - Joseph Dos Reis (La Salle Academy) 4:03.40; Ethan Wyllie (North Kingstown High School) 4:03.90; Jordan Dagrin (Bishop Hendricken High School) 4:04.70; Jeffrey Venter (Bishop Hendricken High School) 4:05.40; Nikolas Reygadas (Toll Gate High School) 4:06.70; Kyle Keefe (Chariho Regional High School) 4:07.20; Tim Champlin (Chariho Regional High School) 4:08.60; Matt St. Jean (Bishop Hendricken High School) 4:09.40; Hayden Ivatts (Barrington High School) 4:09.70;
- 3,000 Meter Run - Matthew Walker (Westerly High School) 8:57.30;
- 400 Meter Dash - Donatien Djero (Central High School) 48.60;
- 800 Meter Run - Mars Bishop (Barrington High School) 1:55.30; Jack Perreault (North Kingstown High School) 1:56.10; Ethan Shea (Portsmouth High School) 1:56.40;
- Discus - Derek Jacobs (Westerly High School) 159-2;
- Hammer Throw - Dilyn Cote (Woonsocket High School) 202-7; Jacob Furland (Classical High School) 200-2; Zeke Cohen (Classical High School) 189-8; Evan Grivers (Lincoln High School) 189-2; Ryan Morel (Bishop Hendricken High School) 187-10; Kyle Moison (Lincoln High School) 184-6; Abraham Salako (Bishop Hendricken High School) 183-0; Ivan Goretoy (West Warwick High School) 182-8; Cameron Croce (La Salle Academy) 180-6; Jacob Greenless (Woonsocket High School) 180-2; Jason Hoskins (Coventry High School) 172-7; Mark Coppolino (Cumberland) 169-8; Derin Paskanik (Woonsocket High School) 168-3; Jack Dunn (Barrington High School) 167-11; Michael Luna (Central High School) 161-6; Nathan Desplaines (Woonsocket High School) 155-5; Jonathan Buchanan (Classical High School) 155-3; Nicholas Caulfield (Cumberland) 154-9; Kevin Fofanah (Classical High School) 154-5; Logan Burda (Woonsocket High School) 152-9; Tyler Pelletier (Coventry High School) 149-10; Jonathan Lejeune (Pilgrim High School) 149-1; Ethan Carr (Coventry High School) 149-0; Robert Lisi (Toll Gate High School) 148-0; Isiah Shepard (Central High School) 146-11; Andrew Alhborg (North Kingstown High School) 146-0; Alex Mazika (Cumberland) 143-3; Philip Coppolino (Cumberland) 141-9; Leonardo Alvarez (Hope High School) 141-5; Matthew Hajjar (Bishop Hendricken High School) 140-11;
- Pole Vault - Joseph Zingarelli (North Kingstown High School) 14-0; Thorin Cardente (North Kingstown High School) 14-0;